Himley House is a lovely 17th century Grade II listed pub steeped in history and situated in grounds of Himley Hall Estate offering traditional Sunday lunches, delicious seasonal dishes, wines and cask ales.
Located in the small Staffordshire village of Himley, The Himley House was originally part of the Himley Hall Estate - the former home of the Lords of Dudley.This lovely Georgian pub restaurant has retained the feeling of a grand country mansion. Converted into a pub restaurant and hotel in the early 20th century, its high wooden beams and real fires add to the historic ambience just like its candlelit dinners.
The former lodge house for Himley Hall, this grand Grade II listed building has extensive grounds bordering a lake and beautiful surroundings landscaped by Lancelot Capability Brown. After a day exploring Himley Park Estate, West Midland Safari Park or Dudley Zoological Gardens, a zoo created around an 11th Century castle, Himley House is the perfect place to re-fuel. Plus the delicious Sunday lunches are served all day, so visitors need not feel tied to a timetable.
Himley House is situated in Staffordshire in the small village of Himley- near the town of Dudley and the city of Wolverhampton. Once part of the Himley Hall Estate, the pub has a rich history.
As a Grade II listed building, Himley Hall was once a moated manor house and, for over four centuries, served as a secondary home to the Earls of Dudley, before the Ward family inherited the building in 1645.
In fact, today’s building dates from the 18th century when John Ward demolished the medieval manor to make way for the Himley Hall we know today.
The village of Himleywas relocated at this time and the church rebuilt on its present site in 1764. Then, in 1774, when John Ward died, Himley Hall was taken over by his son, John Junior, who brought in Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown to re-design the parkland.
Famous occupants and visitors to Himley Hall included Dud Dudley, whose 17th century experiments in smelting iron ore with coal were carried out nearby, and King Charles I who encamped in the grounds on his way to defeat in the Battle of Naseby, during the English Civil War in 1645.
More recent visitors include The Duke and Duchess of Kent when they honeymooned at Himley in 1934, and the Prince of Wales (later Edward VIII) who spent his very last weekend there before his abdication.
The nearby Holbeach House is also of important historical significance because it is closely linked to the Gunpowder Plot. In 1605, most of the men who attempted to blow up Parliament with Guy Fawkes were cornered there. A bloody gunfight ensued, resulting in the deaths of at least four of the conspirators, including their leader Robert Catesby.
Bullet holes can still be seen in the walls of Holbeach House today. While the house is now a nursing home and not open to the public, many of the streets of Charterfields housing development, built in the 1970s, adopted the names of those involved in the Gunpowder Plot.
Today a tranquil rural retreat in the heart of the Black Country, The Himley House is a lovely historic venue to meet friends for a delicious pub lunch or to sample the seasonal specials from our extensive pub menu, or to enjoy a relaxing Sunday lunch after a stroll in the grounds of Himley Hall.